Wednesday, December 28, 2011

PUTTING AWAY CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS by Stacy McSpadden

I decked my halls.  Now do I really have to take it all down and put it away?

So it's 3 days after Christmas and I had a great weekend of food, family, gifts, and all around good cheer.  I have spent countless hours in the kitchen preparing the next meal or wrapping another gift or cleaning up another mess.  I finally have an evening to sit and relax, and all I can think is that I have to put away all the decorations.  That is exactly what came across my mind last night.  

I hosted the last family gathering at my house on Monday night.  Being employed in the retail business, I do not get to experience the luxury of Christmas break, so my day began early to prepare for our post-holiday sale.  I was quite tired, so I sat on the sofa, called my best friend, and then it hit me....YOU NOW HAVE TO CLEAN UP ALL THIS MESS!!!

Christmas decorations are fairly easy to keep organized, especially the ornaments.  All you need is a good selection of Rubbermaid boxes.  I purchased one of the ornament organizers a few years ago.  They are very nice because they keep my things from getting crushed. If you don't have a lovely pre-lit tree, then you have to find somewhere to store all of those lights.  If you wrap them tight and in tight balls, then they can be stacked in a box.  Just be organized and label the items so that if you decide not to use everything next year, you don't have to take down all the boxes from the attic.  These big containers are great, too, for storing those once-a-year serving pieces and dishes that take up so much space in those top cabinets in the kitchen.


              
What about the mess of all the gift wrap and ribbon and tissue?  You can either purchase the wrapping paper storage bins, or if you have extra space in a closet or room, you can use these great ideas from Pinterest.

                                         



                      
The last thing is what to do about those wreaths, arrangements, and garlands that collect so much dust and are so hard to store?  The best thing to do with these things is to place them loosely in large plastic trash bags and try to lay them across a flat place in the attic.  If it is a wreath or door swag, hang a large nail on the wall of rafters so that they can hang upright.  Your bows with wired ribbon should be removed and tied to coat hangers.  Also, cover these and hang them on a large nail in the attic.  If you didn't use wired ribbon, chances are your bows will only last one year.  Raoul Stephenson did an amazing job helping us get organized in the attic at the church.  If you would like a tour of the attic, then let me know and I will be glad to take you up there one Sunday or Wednesday.

It always feels great to start the New Year out all clean and organized! We will start talking about trends for the new year and start thinking of new ideas in the weeks to come.  Happy New Year to you all.

In Him,

Stacy 





Stacy McSpadden
Manager of Interior Design Services
Chestnut Hall Interiors
3075 Forest Hill Irene Road
Germantown, Tennessee 38138
901.753.8515
stacy@chestnuthall.com

No comments:

Post a Comment