Thursday, December 22, 2011

ADVENT WITH CHILDREN by Candice Duffy

Day 19
The Shepherds Tell the Good News
 
Again we are in Luke 2:8-20 today. We focused mostly on the shepherds today. After the angel told them how to find baby Jesus, they left their sheep and went to find him. Everything was just as the angel had told them. Baby Jesus was wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger. Their Messiah. The one who had been prophesied was here. Their Savior. The very one who would redeem them from all their sin. The shepherds left the Christ child and immediately went and began spreading the good news. 

I asked my children today to tell me one new thing they had learned about the birth of Christ. Eli's answer was Zechariah and how his disobedience gave him big consequences (his words, not mine!). Ella Kate didn't know that Mary had a cousin, Elizabeth.  Noah said Jesus is light. I was most amazed to hear my sweet little 3 year old remember the most important part of the Christmas story. I asked him why Jesus was light and he said (NO LIE), "Cause it's dark!!!" I tell you, I am praising God because even a 3 year old...MY 3 year old...has truly grasped during our advent lessons that Jesus is the light and only He can fill our dark world with His light and hope. I encouraged them to each tell someone they know about the Christmas story or about the new thing they had learned just like the shepherds went and told others.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment