Tuesday, November 26, 2013

LEARNING TO GIVE THANKS by Vicki Taylor

As Thanksgiving approaches, perhaps it would be a good thing to focus on verses that tell us to be thankful. This is one woman's perspective on a particular passage of Scripture. What is your perspective on this passage?

…give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.  I Thessalonians 5:18

It’s tough to give thanks in all circumstances, our own or others. Suffering through something, or worse - watching someone you love suffer, is a hard place to learn the discipline of giving thanks. But that is where we learn it best… in the valleys of disasters, disease, and disappointments. Without those difficulties we would never learn to trust in Him who gave us His Son. 

To give thanks in everything is a learned discipline. It requires us to act, to do. It is not just an emotional outburst or a warm fuzzy feeling. God wants us to thank Him because it draws us into His presence. It teaches us to look to Him and not at ourselves or our circumstances. By giving thanks, we learn to overcome situations that surround us which can cause us to become discouraged and discontent.

Another reason God commands thankfulness is because it is crucial to our well-being. It keeps us healthy, spiritually and physically.  People with a thankful or positive attitude are less likely to be sick. They complain less. They see life through the glass half full instead of half empty. The sun always shines even on cloudy days. They rejoice when it rains because they know it is necessary for new growth. They also rejoice in trials, because they result in spiritual growth.

I have learned to give thanks even in suffering and sickness. Even though at times my circumstances can be very difficult, keeping my focus on my Heavenly Father has gotten me through. Nothing is more difficult than watching someone you love suffer. We cannot do it alone. It takes help from those around you and from above.

Now if I understand this right, if I give thanks for all my circumstances, the good and the bad, this will put me right smack in God’s will in Christ Jesus. I don’t know about you, but that’s right where I want to be!




No comments:

Post a Comment