Tuesday, November 12, 2013

HOW TO GIVE THANKS by Paula Roten

As Thanksgiving approaches, perhaps it would be a good thing to focus on verses that tell us to be thankful. This is one woman's perspective on a particular passage of Scripture. What is your perspective on this passage?

1 Chronicles 16:8-13
New International Version (NIV)

8 Give praise to the Lord, proclaim his name;
    make known among the nations what he has done.
9 Sing to him, sing praise to him;
    tell of all his wonderful acts.
10 Glory in his holy name;
    let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice.
11 Look to the Lord and his strength;
    seek his face always.
12 Remember the wonders he has done,
    his miracles, and the judgments he pronounced,
13 you his servants, the descendants of Israel,
    his chosen ones, the children of Jacob.

I Chronicles 16:8-36 is a psalm of thanks that David wrote in response to bringing the Ark of the Covenant back to Jerusalem. The Ark had been first in enemy hands and then in a temporary location. Now it had been brought "home" so to speak. David and all the people were ecstatic with singing, dancing, and celebrating. 

How do I respond when God does something really big in my family or community? What does praising God look like? I think these verses tell us.

Vs. 8 - Give the praise to God. Not people, doctors, a degree, or being in the right place at the right time.

Vs. 9 -  Sing. Yes, sing to God, the one I am praising. He doesn't care whether I can carry a tune in a bucket or not.

Vs. 10 - Rejoice in the name of the Lord. Be happy. Let others see my joy and give God the credit.

Vs. 10 - Pray. Continue to pray and seek God to meet needs, to do miracles, to show Himself in my life. 

Vs. 11 - Continue to depend on God and His strength. Not my own. Acknowledge God did it, not me. 

Vs. 12 - Remember what God has done in the past and talk about it. Don't let my family or friends forget what God has accomplished on my behalf. Acknowledge the miracles of God. There are no coincidences or good karma. 


I'm afraid that too often, we only thank God in a quick prayer before dinner or bedtime. I'm hoping to make my life one of continual gratitude...talking to others about Him and His provision for me...being sure to give Him the credit...being a joyful, positive person...and continuing to depend on Him for every single need in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment