Friday, November 29, 2013

ADVENT...PREPARING FOR CHRISTMAS by Paula Roten

I've been Baptist all my life and a Christian since the age of nine. I've never experienced the teaching of Advent. But the thought of preparing my heart for celebrating Christmas appeals to me. It's entirely too easy to get caught up in "Christmas According to the World:" Santa, decorate, shop shop shop, cook cook cook, and then eat eat eat, indulge our children with so much that they have to clean out their rooms in order to put all the new stuff away. Not to mention feelings of frustration, irritability, busyness, and depression mixed in with tidings of great joy. My desire is to make my mind and heart Christ-centered.

For the last several years, I have intentionally focused on Christ during this season, reading the Christmas Story from the Bible in the gospels as well as reading books that point my heart in the right direction. Perhaps you, too, would like to intentionally block out the world and tune in to the anticipation and joy of Christ.

Here are some suggestions I made last year:
http://refreshbbc.blogspot.com/2012/11/adventpreparing-for-christmas.html

And here are my suggestions for this year. (Please realize I haven't read all these yet, so I can't completely vouch for their contents.)  
  • Reading plans on the free YouVersion Bible app for mobile phones (I counted 18 for Christmas, 3 days-29 days in length):
                   Our Daily Bread Christmas Edition
                   Prepare Your Heart: Christmas Devotions
                   Sounds of Christmas
                   It's Christmas - Devotions from Mandisa
                   Rediscovering the Christmas Season
                   Carols: A Christmas Devotional
                   Joy! to Your World! A Countdown to Christmas
                   Christmas Begins with Christ
                   Countdown to Christmas


Please leave a comment in the comments section below or on our facebook page with Advent selections you've found to be helpful.


No comments:

Post a Comment