Thursday, November 14, 2013

CANNOT BE SHAKEN by Tony Manley

As Thanksgiving approaches, perhaps it would be a good thing to focus on verses that tell us to be thankful. This is one woman's perspective on a particular passage of Scripture. What is your perspective on this passage?

“Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe…” Heb.12:28

Truth, one day I will go to heaven because of Christ’s work at the cross. 

Truth, God is consistent in His teaching that I am to live with a thankful heart. 

Truth, I have a choice daily in the moments (crossroad!) of whether I will choose God, flesh, the lies of the enemy, or the way of the world. 

Most of the time, this moment choice feels way too much, too fast, and too hard. Again, God knew and knows we, His children, are strangers and aliens are in a hostile environment, yet He continues to tell us “to be thankful.”

I think the Holy Spirit used a yellow highlighter in Heb.12:28 on the words “we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken…”   What a stabilizing promise to grab when I am in the center of Hurricane Life. Shaken is a tough heart place to be. In a shaken place, cracks can be made or revealed, damage occurs, confusion happens, words and thoughts emerge about issues I have not thought about or had in the past. This is when I must have a place to wrap my heart, mind, eyes, and hands around for stabilizing strength and perseverance. 

A kingdom that cannot be shaken, a God that cannot be overcome, a future that is secure, and a Savior that cannot be defeated. Truly, this is the very core of what I believe as a Christ follower. This is the answer, the truth to “What will I do?” and “What is going to happen to me?” and “Can I continue?”  This is also the rest, refuge, peace, and joy of being a Christ follower.

Today, I am thankful that my hope, my stabilizing, non-shakable truth is “all things God.” I am thankful God has placed me in a body called Broadway Baptist and allows me to pray for other sisters and brothers that are travelling on the same journey. I am thankful I can pray for the hearts of tired, hurting, and needy family members that have loved and given me Christ as bread and water when I have been that tired, hurting, and needy sister. 

“Cannot be shaken” - what a comfort! May today the hearts of the body of Christ all over the world hold fast to this truth as we weather hurricanes, showers, fires, broken things and people. As a result, the worship fragrance of our body will be acceptable, accompanied by a reverent and awe filled heart. 

“Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker; for He is our God and we are the people of His pasture, the flock under His care.”  Ps.95:6    Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment