Wednesday, May 15, 2013

PEACE, PLEASE by Tony Manley


Today, I am going to go right up to the drive through and with confidence place an order. My order spoken clearly and loudly through the speaker is, “I would like a plate full of peace, please.” As I order, the Taker asks, “What would you like with that peace?” To which I reply, “Nothing. I think that is all I can handle today.

I just have to ask – does any other heart get too full? Does any other mind get too busy and/or overwhelmed? Mind you, I am not speaking from just a negative perspective, because there are times my heart and mind are too full, busy, and overwhelmed with good, and then there are times my heart and mind are too full, busy and overwhelmed with bad. (If you are still reading this, I commend you…imagine being the one trying to process and spew what this all means ☺)

Let’s start with wonderful. Moments when I just want everyone and everything to freeze and stay the same. Moments when I experience laughter, unity, good food, great atmosphere, wonderful words, and people I love and they love me back! These are times when my heart and mind are too full and overwhelmed. This is as close to what heaven is for me as I can describe. This is what I want the Taker to hand over when I get to the window to pick up my order!

But I know other moments also. Moments when I just want everyone and everything to stop and “not be.” Not be hurt or hurting, wrong, divisive, abusive, broken, sick, and just plain ugly. I admit I am a Pollyanna. I like happy, happy, happy. So I fight to keep from responding like the very things I want to stop. I fight to not be hurtful, wrong, divisive, abusive, broken, sick, and just plain ugly to or about another one or another thing.

My heart gets so full and then my mind, being the busybody it is, jumps in and before I know it, I’ve got me a mess on the inside! God is so faithful to keep me in places where I can go through the drive through and order the peace plate. Being the hungry person I am, that order gets placed several times a day. He is so kind to hand me a coupon for “buy one, get one free” so I can share the peace plate with others. 

I have hurts, and I have friends and families with hurts and uglies. The Order Taker is teaching me that His plate is the answer for peace. Just look at His character, His name, and His promises:

“Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. “ John 14:27

“And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  Phil. 4:4

“Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6

As a fast food type girl, a plate of peace from God is very filling. I don’t ever want to lose my appetite for what He serves, and I have found His plate of peace is exactly what this heart needs in the good and bad moments of each day.

What will you order today when the Taker asks, “What can I get you today?”




No comments:

Post a Comment