Friday, August 23, 2013

FRESH, FRAGRANT, AND FUN by Tony Manley


I love the beginning of the new school year! I am nervous, scared, excited, emotional, excited, scared, nervous…did I mention I have emotions all over the board?! Being a teacher is a lifelong dream and one I do not take for granted. But each year as I walk back into the room that needs to be redone or moved, the meetings of reminders, and the receiving of the class list, my heart gets nervous, scared, excited, emotional...oh, did I already tell you this?

In my head, inservice means “heart prep.” These are the days to get me refocused on this calling and to refresh my vision. We always have one day of philosophy sessions that resonate with my heart at the level of my walk with Christ. I love being encouraged that my calling as a teacher is to permeate my talk, walk, preparation and presentation of the lessons to the lives of my God-assigned children and their families. Talk about humbling and needy! I need the Holy Spirit to be the lead Teacher while I assume the assistant’s roll. ☺

This year was particularly wonderful for me as the sessions were about having a Biblical Worldview. I was strengthened and excited about how God is Lord of every aspect of life in and out of the classroom and that as a teacher I am a living curriculum of Christ! The foundation of my life is Christ; therefore, as I teach, He should be the permeating fragrance and truth of room 111. The bottom line is - my view of everything in life should be filtered through God’s truth. 

I did walk away with some strong truths that I think will not only make it onto the wall somewhere in room 111 but also on the refrigerator at my house. As I listened, the Master Teacher was giving a one-on-one session with me in areas I need to have reinforced in the everywhere and everything of my life.

“But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.”  1 Corinthians 14:40

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.”  Colossians 3:23

“Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.”  Ephesians 4:29

“He must become greater; I must become less.”  John 3:30

“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him…to be conformed to the likeness of His Son…” Romans 8:28-29

“How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity!"  Ps. 133:1

There. It. Is. My fresh, fragrant, and fun truths for room 111, my refrigerator, and everywhere in between! Check on me from time to time and hold me accountable to the truth of the Truth.  



No comments:

Post a Comment