Tuesday, August 20, 2013

ANYTHING by Tony Manley


Now that I have completely embraced the truth that being Unglued by Lysa Terkeurst can actually be of value in my growing in Christ, I am being immersed in Anything by Jennie Allen! Two books and two truths! I invite inquiring minds to look into both books authored by wonderful women of Christ lovers.

It is time to return to school for parents and teachers. For me, it is exciting and scary all at one time…the thoughts that flood me as a teacher, also flood parents and students. “What ifs” and “what abouts” abound when I let my heart go to places of doubt, unbelief, and/or rebellion. Anytime I live out a Sarai heart (Gen. 16 – I can get what I want, how I want, when I want – without waiting for God), I can expect a mess to clean up afterwards (Gen. 21:8-10).  How does all this relate to returning to school? For me, I am reminded that God has a plan for the students and parents He has prepared for me this year. He knows who I need and He knows who they need. Don’t fight the One who knows all!

The “anything” heart requires abandoning whatever keeps me from living a life with Christ as Lord. The word abandon is an action, a verb. It means: to leave completely and finally; forsake utterly; to give up the control of; to yield oneself without restraint or moderation; to surrender one’s claim to, right to, or interest in; to give up entirely. As a teacher, parent, or student I must ask myself “Am I willing to pray anything - to abandon whatever is keeping myself or my child from living a life with Christ as Lord?   
I am learning a lot about the level of trust in God’s heart I demonstrate daily with my words and behavior. As a parent and teacher, when I see the name assigned to me, my response will reveal my belief about what God is doing in my life. As I approach that name, do I see and hear more what people say about that name or do I see and hear what God says? “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.” (Prov. 3:5-6)  “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him…to be conformed to the likeness of His Son…” (Rom. 8:28-29).

As a new year of new people comes into our lives – teachers, students, coaches, tutors, friends, coworkers – may each of us as new creations (2 Cor. 5:17), with new minds (Rom. 12:2), and new mouths (Eph. 4:29) embrace an “anything” heart toward the Lord and others.
  
“Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus, just to take Him at His word…”
“All to Jesus I surrender, all to Him I freely give…”
My  growing “anything” heart is loudly singing a few courageous songs of truth!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment