Wednesday, August 14, 2013

CHOOSE WISELY by Kim Wright


“Make good choices!”

A parent calling out that one last reminder…knowing what’s been taught, anxiously hopeful it will be remembered, yet fully aware of the dangers that await.

A child who knows the right answers in his head, but has to flesh out his beliefs in his heart.

I’ve been that kid this week. 

My loving, caring, concerned Father has called out that reminder to me this week, not just once, but twice. 

TWICE!!

Perhaps I should pay better attention!

This was the first occasion:
“…for I called but you did not answer, I spoke but you did not listen. You did evil in my sight, and chose what displeases me.”  Isa. 65:12

The voice of my Father, inaudible to others, but deep, strong and clear to me said, “Kim, what about you? Are you making good choices? Are you choosing what pleases me?”

…but He didn’t stop there.

When my little one was telling me the longest story known to man, and I found my thoughts drifting and my responses perfunctory and uninterested, I heard Him whisper: “Is this a good choice?”

When I had a few precious moments of silence and began to fill my time with Facebook and Fox News, I heard Him again: “Perhaps you should use this time to pray for your children…THAT is what would please ME!”

He continued speaking…and then I started asking: 
 “Is this a good choice, Lord?” 
 “What do YOU want me to do here?”  
“Is THIS what pleases You?”

…and He answered! He helped me choose right responses and reactions! He helped me choose how to best use my time! 

He spoke. I listened.
  
I asked. He answered. 

I went to bed for the first time in a long time with much less regret and a greater sense of accomplishment about how I had spent my day. I fell asleep happy, contented, and committed to continue…and woke up the next morning completely back to normal.

Three days of normal.

Distracted, undisciplined…

Wrong responses, time wasted…

Frustrated, irritated, and filled with regret…

Different day, different chapter…same message, same Voice…

“…For when I called, no one answered, when I spoke, no one listened. They did evil in my sight, and chose what displeased me.”  Isa. 66:4

An excerpt from my journal on that morning:
“Father, Here it is again! That phrase is grabbing at my heartstrings:  ‘…they chose what displeases me.’ What choices am I making daily that displease You? I need to view my day as a series of choices…I can choose how to spend my time, how to respond to various situations, how to respond to people I come into contact with, etc. Am I making good choices? Choices that please You? 

I know in my heart I haven’t been making good choices. Please change me! You are BIG. You have the power to change my habits, my responses, everything! I have to lay down my will, though. Please help me to do this! Keep me mindful today whenever I’m faced with a choice to please You or please myself!! Help me to choose what pleases You!!! Help my husband and each of my kids to choose what pleases You too! Guard us from just going mindlessly through our day! Help us to evaluate what we’re doing through Your eyes and Your perspective! Help us to choose what pleases You! Help us to stop choosing what displeases You!”

I’m asking God to keep calling me…I’m praying that I’ll keep listening.

 “…Choose you this day whom you will serve….but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”  Joshua 24:15
  
What about you? Are your choices reflecting the One you desire to serve?

Join me in asking Him to help…He’ll answer! I promise!




No comments:

Post a Comment