Friday, June 14, 2013

"SEE" by Tony Manley


Lock in on Deuteronomy 1:8.  A key word in Deuteronomy is “see.” One of our major goals in this series will be to regain our vision.

Welcome to the first night of the Deuteronomy Bible Study! This was the #5 point in the fill-in-the-blanks of the listening guide. Of course, each person walked away with a specific point that gripped their heart personally, and I don’t know that this is the one that got me on Monday night, but as the week has progressed, God has repetitively brought “see” and “regain our vision” to my attention! It seems there are so many people in my life circle who are living in circumstances they never anticipated they would be living…health, relationship, broken/betrayals, financial, basically - “I don’t want or deserve this” type life. So how does this line of thinking connect with “see” and “regain our vision?”

In the four gospels, Jesus healed the blind by speaking, touching, having him wash with mud, and even spitting. (*I love the creativity of Jesus’ healing ways!) The blind’s need was obvious –seeing. Seeing clearly. When I think about regaining my vision, it is apparent, I am not seeing clearly. I have begun developing  a questioning heart or have lost what was once so clear. “Is God still good?” “Is God watching and/or listening?”  “Is He really FAITHFUL and PRESENT?”  My vision is becoming blurry, which reveals a heart becoming muddied. Possibly, the beginnings of a wandering life.

Life has a way of stepping in as a form of a mountain blocking a view or vision. But God has a response  in Deut. 1:6: “You have stayed long enough at this mountain.” Isn’t that a gentle (?) rebuke/reminder/statement to say, “It’s time to move on from whatever has blocked your vision of ME?”  I must grieve and deal with the mountains, but I do not have permission to get stuck at the mountain. Thus, the theme of Deuteronomy –“He brought us (me) out that He might bring us (me) in.”

Father, “I want to see” (Luke 18:41), to gain again/to keep the vision of truth. You are greater than any life mountains I face. You have purpose in placing or allowing mountains, but I know the mountains are not for getting stuck! I know, Father, Your heart is trustworthy, so today, I claim You as greater than any mountain and by Your grace I will walk and not quit.  Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment