We celebrated Mexico for our first Bible Study meal. People always want recipes for the dishes that are brought, so over the next 6 weeks you'll all the benefit!
Mexican Lasagna by Rachel Dowdy
1/2 lb. ground mild pork sausage
1/2 lb. ground beef
1 (15 oz.) can Jalapeno Ranch Style Pinto Beans, drained
1 can diced tomatoes and green chiles
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of celery soup
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (10 oz.) can enchilada sauce
9 (6 in.) corn tortillas or flour
2 cups (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
4 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1. Cook sausage and ground beef in large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain all grease.
2. Stir in beans and next 5 ingredients and cook until thoroughly heated.
3. In another pan, stir together celery soup, mushroom soup, and enchilada sauce until thoroughly heated.
4. Spoon 1/3 sauce onto bottom of a lightly greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
5. Top with 3 tortillas.
6. Spoon 1/2 of beef and sausage mixture and 1/3 of the sauce over tortillas.
7. Sprinkle with half of cheddar cheese.
8. Repeat layer of tortillas, beef mixture, sauce, and cheese. End with a layer of tortillas.
9. Sprinkle top of tortillas with Monterey Jack cheese, tomatoes, onions, and cilantro.
10. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Chicken Enchiladas by Tony Manley
4 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
10 flour tortilla shells
1 (16 oz) container sour cream (I don't use all of it, about 2/3ish :)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 (16 oz.) pkg. shredded cheddar cheese (sharp or mild)
salt and pepper to taste (for a spicier taste add hot seasonings)
1. In a large bowl, combine sour cream, soup, 1/2 pkg. cheese, and seasonings.
2. Stir in shredded chicken. If the mixture looks dry, add the remaining sour cream.
3. On a tortilla shell, spread about 2 tbsp. of the chicken mixture and roll tightly. Place in a sprayed 9 x 13 pan.
4. Continue this process until you fill the pan.
5. The remaining chicken mixture is to be spread across the enchiladas.
6. Sprinkle the other half of the cheese over the top.
7. Bake at 350 degrees till bubbly.
Fruit Pie - by Nellita Young
2 unbaked pie shells (I like Pillsbury)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 8-oz. pkg. creamed cheese
1 cup sugar
2 pkgs. Dream Whip
1 can peach (or blueberry) pie filling
1. Press 1/4 cup pecans into each pie shell. Bake according to directions on crust pkg. Let cool.
2. After baking crust, slice one banana into each of the pie shells.
3. Pour 1/2 can peach (or blueberry) pie filling into each pie shell. (See note at bottom)
4. Prepare the 2 pkgs. of Dream Whip according to directions on pkg. Set aside.
5. Cream the creamed cheese and sugar together. Whip until smooth.
6. Mix the Dream Whip mixture with the creamed cheese/sugar mixture. Mix until smooth.
7. Top each pie with the Dream Whip & creamed cheese mixture. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
*NOTE: The recipe calls for one can of pie filling to be shared on the two pies. I usually buy 2 cans and use about 3/4 can on each pie. I like to make one peach and one blueberry.