Thursday, June 13, 2013

ARE YOU A STORM CHASER? by Vicki Taylor


Have you ever wondered how many storms you’ve ever chased? Now, I bet you’re thinking that’s a strange question, aren’t you? Let me explain … this morning I was listening to the weather channel and was hearing about three storm chasers who had died over the weekend chasing a tornado in Oklahoma. Immediately the Holy Spirit asked me, “How many storms have you chased?” I thought, how odd, but yet He got my attention. (Funny how He gets my attention in the morning when I'm getting ready for work. Usually my thoughts are on, well … me, since I'm getting ready for work.)

Storms can be anything or anyone. Anything that takes our attention off Christ will more than likely turn into a storm. Whatever we chase after and give our affection to is a storm; in other words, anything that controls our hearts or minds. Storms can knock us off balance, suck the wind out of us and throw our life into a crisis. Some even entice us to follow them, which is what storm chasers do.  

Here’s what a storm chaser does…they drive from storm to storm trying to be the first there to get the best shot of the storm or tornado to send back to their station with the first bit of information. Sound familiar? Don’t we all run around trying to find the right car, the right house, the right friend, the right church, the best vacation, the right pair… of… shoes? Just so we can let everyone know that we have the best? And we don’t even have to say a word about it; it shows. We are running ourselves ragged just keeping up with the Kardashians of life. Chasing storms…

Jesus says in Matthew 6:33: “Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be given to you.” When we stop the insanity and realize that what we need to do is to seek Him first and His Kingdom, He will allow, in His time, everything else to fall into place. When we come to the realization that things, people, church hopping, vacations and the right pair of shoes are not going to make us happy, but only a right relationship with Jesus Christ will complete us and fill us, there will be a shift in our thinking and desires. We will no longer crave what the world has to offer. We will not want to chase after things that no longer satisfy, but only want what truly satisfies the heart and the soul. We will desire a closer relationship with Christ because only He can satisfy.  

I know in my own life when I’ve chased storms, I usually just end up cleaning up the debris left behind by the mess I’ve made. But when I’m seeking the Lord and looking for His direction in my life, really seeking, my life seems to run smoother. Now, I’m not saying He moves quickly in my life because He usually doesn’t, but He does do a work in my heart first… then in my life. And that’s where it all begins, in the heart first. It’s a heart issue, the things we crave, whether heavenly or earthly, it’s all an issue of the heart. 

Now I don’t know about you, but I get weary chasing storms… I think I’ll just sit back and learn to be content with what I have.



No comments:

Post a Comment