Friday, June 7, 2013

A LIFE LESSON LEARNED FROM A CHILD by Christie Smith


While helping my 5 yr-old get ready for the day, he started to cry. I immediately asked what was wrong and he said, "I wish it was still night time." Yeah. Your guess is as good as mine at this point. But upon further inquiry he explained, "I was in the middle of thinking about being brave when I fell asleep, but now it's morning and I don't have time to decide whether to be brave or not!" You see, he was sick and knew we were going to the doctor first thing in the morning. But morning came before he was ready!

As cute as this conversation was, it was also a little too familiar for my comfort. In the middle of the "night" when things are calm and peaceful in my life, it's easy to say that when the hard times come I'll be ready. It's easy to have a head-knowledge of the Scriptures, but when daylight comes and I see the scary times ahead, will I still be so brave? These questions ran through my head as I sat there in the waiting room with my son. And when we moved into the exam room, I tried to prepare my little man for what might happen.

"Will they stick that big stick in my throat?"  
"Yes."

"Will they put that long q-tip up my nose?" 
"Probably."

"Will I have to get a shot?" 
"Maybe."

"Will it hurt?" 
"Yes."

I wanted to be honest about what was in store. I wanted him to be prepared. But I also told him that it would be ok, and even though it might hurt, it was for his best. Does that sound familiar (Jeremiah 29:11)?

After the doctor walked out after telling us he needed a shot, another conversation ensued. Amidst the crying I tried to remind him of all the shots he got when he was a baby where he didn't cry at all. His reply, "But I was a baby and didn't know any better. Now I'm 5 and smarter and I know that it will hurt. I didn't know then!" I so understand his logic. I was telling a friend just the other day how I get so tired of constantly having to think of everything I'm doing and the effect it is having on my eternal life, on my kids' futures, on my grandchildren's futures! The pressure of becoming spiritually aware of the choices you make everyday...it can become so overwhelming at times. I sometimes long for the "ignorance is bliss" days when the choices I made didn't come with such generational consequences. But as Paul says in 1 Corinthians 13:11: “When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.” True...when we were "babes in Christ," we didn't know any better. But as my son pointed out, we're smarter now! We know better now. So let's start living in the knowledge of God's Word. Let's trust that preparing ourselves during the quiet times will give us the courage to be brave during the hard times. And just as I was trying to convince my son, we have to trust that even if it hurts...it's for our good! 


No comments:

Post a Comment