Monday, May 14, 2012

WORD FOR THE WEEK

 Then the Lord God made a woman 
from the rib he had taken out of the man, 
and he brought her to the man. 
The man said, "This is now bone of my bones 
and flesh of my flesh; 
she shall be called 'woman,' for she was taken out of man." 
For this reason a man will leave his father and mother 
and be united to his wife, and they shall be one flesh. 
Genesis 2:22-24

Since yesterday was Mother's Day and the sermon included these verses, I was reminded of the decision I made when both my children married: to love the spouse as I love my own flesh and blood child. 

Scripture says they are "one flesh." 

Would I be angry and unforgiving to my own son?

Would I talk about my daughter to others and list all her faults and flaws?

Would I give a measly token of a gift or no gift to my son on his birthday or Christmas?

Would I go for days without speaking to my daughter?

Would I never pray for my son or daughter?

Of course, the answer is NO to all the above questions. If my child and his/her spouse are one flesh, then I should treat them equally and love them equally. When my two children married, I didn't lose them, I gained two more to love!

Is it possible that God might be asking you to examine your relationship with your son-in-law or daughter-in-law? Have you really accepted them? Are you making an effort to love them as your own flesh and blood?



No comments:

Post a Comment