Friday, May 25, 2012

CONDITIONS FREAK by Tony Manley


As a “dabbler” in jogging, I have grown into a “Conditions Freak!” I guess this title "Conditions Freak" can evolve in anyone as they become a student of a hobby or new learning.  Before a jog, I intentionally check out temperatures, humidity, wind speed and direction, heat index or wind chill, and then I consider how all of these conditions will affect the route and distance for my jog.  Of course, if the route is not experientially known, I am left to a certain amount of “ unknownness” (basically, faith has to kick in). So, I find myself less likely to pursue the unknown routes and stay with the more familiar ones. After all, I know what I’m taking on as long as I stay in my comfort zone!

Yesterday, I did my homework trying to decide if this would be an inside or outside jog. Inside – elliptical and treadmill...or outside – roads.  Outside won. Beautiful sunshine and the wind on my back, which makes for a little bit of ease by pushing me to the goal!  As I was actively involved (code words for out of the driveway and on the street), some of the conditions were not what I had planned or anticipated.  Dogs barking and advancing toward a jogger can affect the heart rate and breathing – fear does that! The unexpected wind gusts at the same time a hill shows up, and then the distracted driver on the cell phone. 

The Holy Spirit can be quite talkative to me on these little adventures! I believe He knows I am a better listener when I can’t talk and breathe at the same time.  As He began to point out my deliberate studies of this hobby, the questions began from Him to my heart. 
     “Each day as I think through my schedule, am I guilty of rehearsing my conditions to the extent I decide whether or not I will be available?”
     “What about the unknown conditions-the blindsides (car trouble, work problems, health issues, money issues, interruptions, relationship unexpecteds) that inevitably pop up that weren’t factored in for this day?”

Then the Holy Spirit pushed further on the familiarity issue in the corner of my heart.
     “Are you as willing as you were when we met all those years ago to go to unchartered paths with Me, to go out of the box and take a risk with Me leading you in the ways of the Word?"  (*growing older or getting too comfortable can be a hindrance to change).
     “How about your attentiveness? Are you becoming distracted as you “run the race” set out for you and missing others and opportunities I give you daily?”

At the end of the jog, I was so grateful we – the Holy Spirit and I -  had taken that time together, Him talking and me listening.  After all, He does know everything about my heart and ways.  I am humbled that He stays actively engaged with me day in and day out.

“But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all truth.  He will not speak on His own, He will speak only what He hears, and He will tell you what is yet to come.”  John 16:13

No comments:

Post a Comment