Thursday, May 24, 2012

SETTING THE TABLE by Stacy McSpadden

The art of setting the perfect table. Those of us who grew up in the 80's and 90's have a faint clue of what this is all about, but the generation that is growing up in the 21st century is being deprived of this lost art.  As an adult, I have grown to appreciate lessons that my mom and grandmother taught me about entertaining.  As a young child, I was expected to set our dinner table at night.  I know you are thinking, I thought Stacy was supposed to give us design tips.  Well, it's that time of year that is packed with showers, graduation dinners, weddings, and fun gatherings among friends.  There is no better time to refresh our table setting skills.

I was on Pinterest earlier and found this great diagram that can be used for a guide.  I think it might even be a great reminder to place a copy of this information on the refrigerator so that you or your children can refer to it when setting your table.




                                      www.pinterest.com

Now I know you are all thinking, "Who really has time to set their table for breakfast!!!"  For me, breakfast is usually consumed in my car on the way to work.  But other than that, and the European setting, I think these are great guidelines.

I also found a website that discusses the importance of proper table settings.  It does a great job explaining what each glass, plate, and utensil is used for.  It gives even more details on other decorative parts of tables for different occasions.

http://www.homemadesimple.com/en-us/homeorganization/pages/how-to-properly-set-your-table.aspx

Whether you are a mom, grandmother, or aunt, let not the art of a proper table setting pass this generation. Take time to teach young girls and boys this lost art.

Happy Decorating!

Stacy



Stacy McSpadden
Manager of Interior Design Services
Chestnut Hall Interiors
3075 Forest Hill Irene Road
Germantown, Tennessee 38138
901.753.8515

stacy@chestnuthall.com

No comments:

Post a Comment