Tuesday, May 8, 2012

TWO STRAWBERRY RECIPES by Paula Roten

Strawberries are at their peak right now, so I thought I would give you a couple of recipes I've been  enjoying lately.


This recipe is called a Virgin Strawberry Daiquiri, but the reviewers on Allrecipes complained quite a bit about that name, saying it was nothing like a daiquiri. Well, I don't drink alcohol and I've only had one virgin strawberry daiquiri in my entire life, so whatever this is, it's fabulously cool and refreshing, and I love it! Plus I make everything very low cal by using Diet 7-Up and Splenda.


Virgin Strawberry Daiquiri


2 large strawberries, hulled (I use a handful because 2 is not enough to even taste)
1/4 cup white sugar (I use Splenda)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3/4 cup chilled lemon-lime soda (I use Diet 7-Up)
4 cubes ice (I use 8 to get a slushy effect)


In the container of a blender, combine the strawberries, sugar, lemon juice and lemon-lime soda. Add the ice and blend until smooth. Pour into a fancy glass to serve. Serves 1.






The following recipe is a wonderful appetizer or substitution for regular chips and cheese dip. I used an all fruit no sugar raspberry jam and totally omitted all additional sugar. It was plenty sweet for me.


Annie's Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Chips


2 kiwis, peeled and diced
2 Golden Delicious apples - peeled, cored and diced
8 ounces raspberries
1 pound strawberries
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons fruit preserves, any flavor


10 (10 inch) flour tortillas
butter flavored cooking spray
2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
Directions


1.  In a large bowl, thoroughly mix kiwis, Golden Delicious apples, raspberries, strawberries, white sugar, brown sugar and fruit preserves. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes.
2.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
3.  Coat one side of each flour tortilla with butter flavored cooking spray. Cut into wedges and arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle wedges with desired amount of cinnamon sugar. Spray again with cooking spray.
4.  Bake in the preheated oven 8 to 10 minutes. Repeat with any remaining tortilla wedges. Allow to cool approximately 15 minutes. Serve with chilled fruit mixture.












No comments:

Post a Comment