Friday, May 11, 2012

GRATITUDE by Vicki Taylor


I have always thought of myself as a grateful person, thankful for all things. That is until I read Ann Voskamp’s book One Thousand Gifts.    



Ann Voskamp puts a completely different perspective on thanksgiving.  The Greek word for thanksgiving is eucharisteo.  Thanksgiving with joy. God’s Word states, “In all things give thanks for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”  I Thessalonians 5:18But… can we truly say that we give thanks in all things?  In the good, yes, but in the bad? 

When we are walking through that valley of pain, can we honestly look to God and say, "Thank you for this mess and praise you for the grief I am struggling with"?  Can we say, “Lord you are my Shepherd, I have everything I need,” and mean it and be thankful too? 

Ann made me look deep inside myself and ask those tough questions, and honestly, I really didn’t like what I saw there.  I realized that I did not experience that deep joy that God wants me to experience when I am in His presence, in His presence with thanksgiving.  That my thanks was really shallow (ouch!).  Did this mean that my love for Him is as shallow?  I mean I love my husband, my sons, my daughters-in-law, my grandchildren, my neighbors. Why, I even love my neighbor’s cat!! 

But, it really does go much deeper than that.  To experience the pure joy that God gives, the thanks we give to Him must be with a pure heart. 

Ok, so that’s good, but in my rush to have my "quiet time" in the morning, eat breakfast, throw a load of laundry in the washer, shower, make-up, hair, and dress, then rush out the door only to face school traffic in three school zones...yes, I said three school zones.  I can’t honestly say I’m thankful by the time I get to work.  That ten minute drive takes me over thirty minutes during the school year.  Sometimes I’m so frazzled all I can do is make it to the coffee pot, put on my Christian smile and say, “Good morning.”  Trying to remember, at that point, if I even had my quiet time yet?  And now I’m supposed to be thankful!!!!?

Yes, in all things!  I give Him my thanks and He gives me His joy.  It really is that simple.  My heart is filled with joy. My anxiety is relieved because my heart is now filled with His peace and His joy.  I like what Ann says about this - “God extravagantly pays back everything we give away and exactly in the currency that is not of this world but the one we yearn for: Joy in Him.”

I am learning to give Him thanks in all things because I yearn to receive the joy that comes only from Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment