Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Meaty Spaghetti Sauce by Paula Roten

I've got all 6 grands coming over today for a "cousins sleepover." Trying to figure out kid-friendly meals can be quite a challenge, but I'm pretty sure I know one meal all kids like. Spaghetti! I've been making this Taste of Home spaghetti sauce recipe for quite a while now. The main thing I love about it is that the crock pot does all the work. But I also love the fact that there is lots left over to bag up and put in the freezer for another busy day with no time to cook. 

Feel free to personalize this recipe by reducing or even eliminating the sugar (it IS a very sweet sauce) or even using the Italian tomato sauce rather than plain. I make it slightly different every time based on what I have in the pantry. This time I put the onion, garlic, green pepper, and tomatoes in the food processor since my kids tend to not like chunky bits in their sauce. But one thing I always do is to use all ground beef. My family just doesn't care for Italian sausage in their spaghetti. 


Meaty Spaghetti Sauce

  • 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
  • 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
  • 1 medium green pepper, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 8 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
  • 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
  • 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil
  • 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • Hot cooked spaghetti

Directions

  • In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef and sausage until no
  • longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the
  • green pepper, onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, paste, sugar
  • and seasonings.
  • Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until bubbly. Serve with
  • spaghetti. Yield: 12 servings.

Read more: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/meaty-spaghetti-sauce#ixzz38vPkMJ54




No comments:

Post a Comment