Feel free to personalize this recipe by reducing or even eliminating the sugar (it IS a very sweet sauce) or even using the Italian tomato sauce rather than plain. I make it slightly different every time based on what I have in the pantry. This time I put the onion, garlic, green pepper, and tomatoes in the food processor since my kids tend to not like chunky bits in their sauce. But one thing I always do is to use all ground beef. My family just doesn't care for Italian sausage in their spaghetti.
Meaty Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef and sausage until no
- longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the
- green pepper, onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, paste, sugar
- and seasonings.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until bubbly. Serve with
- spaghetti. Yield: 12 servings.
Read more: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/meaty-spaghetti-sauce#ixzz38vPkMJ54