Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Italian-Style Stuffed Yellow Squash by Paula Roten

I've been trying to eat healthier lately. I found this stuffed zucchini recipe at a blog called Gleams of Sunshine. Please make sure you look at the original recipe because I did change it up quite a bit. But I post it here because my husband really enjoyed it and told me it was one of his favorite things I had fixed lately...since trying to eat healthier ;)


Italian-Style Stuffed Yellow Squash 
4 large yellow squash, cut lengthwise 
1/2 lb. Italian sausage 
1 small onion, chopped 
Two Roma tomatoes, diced 
2 cups frozen spinach (some I had left from a bag of fresh baby spinach I had put in the freezer)
1 cup sugar-free (or reduced) spaghetti sauce (I used Colavita Spicy Marinara Sauce)
1 cup cottage cheese (I used 2%)
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and Truvia to taste 
Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, enough to  top squash (This is what I had. Original recipe calls for a 4-cheese Italian blend)

Pre-heat oven to 350°. Pre-slice and dice all veggies before beginning. 

Place sliced squash into a foil-lined pan and pre-bake for 20 minutes. 

Meanwhile, begin browning the ground sausage and onion. Cook meat completely, with no signs of pink. Drain grease. 

Take the squash out of the oven and scoop the middle, creating a squash “boat.” 

Chop up the squash innards and add it to the meat (I omitted the really large seeds), along with the diced tomato and spinach.

Cook the meat & veggie mixture for an additional 5 minutes, and then add the spaghetti sauce, cottage cheese, and spices. Heat through. Add Truvia if a little sweetener is needed. 

Stuff the squash boats with a generous portion of the filling. Place in the oven. 

Bake 20-25 minutes. 


Top with a generous sprinkle of the cheese blend and pop them back into the oven just until the cheese is melted. 


No comments:

Post a Comment