Friday, July 5, 2013

THE BEGATS OF THE BIBLE by Cathy Westmoreland

Recently, I was asked the question, "Do you read all the begats in the Bible?" You know what I mean, Adam begat Seth and Seth begat Enosh and so on. I replied honestly, "I love the begats!" I was told that I was weird. Now, I know I can't be the only weird one. Where I love the begats, I struggle at times reading through Job. We are all different.

I began to ponder the question, "Why do I love the begats?" Names in general are fascinating to me. I have found valuable truths in reading the begats in the Bible. One of my favorites is Methuselah.  Remember, he was the son of Enoch and granddaddy of Noah. Don't you know he could tell Noah so many stories! Methuselah's name meant "when he is dead, it shall be sent." He died the year of the great flood at the old age of 969. That tells me that our LORD was and is long suffering to allow mankind a unique opportunity to repent for their sins. When Methusalah died, the flood was sent. Names were and are important to GOD. He knows my name...He knows your name. Our names are so important to HIM, that we know Him as our Lord and Savior.....HE has written our name in the Book of Life.

God ordained the family. The begats show us the continuation of the family throughout history. A succession of God's people. Hebrews had a strong emphasis on family relationships. They carefully maintained accurate genealogical records. Status in their communities depended on a person's family and tribe. God promised that the Messiah would descend from Abraham through Isaac and Jacob, that He would be from the tribe of Judah and family of Jesse and the house of David. The begats substantiate that Jesus' lineage fulfilled the prophesies.

We also find in reading the begats that there isn't a perfect family. So many examples are given of fathers and sons that followed GOD and others that were evil in the sight of our LORD. The begats show us that we are accountable for ourselves before GOD.

I love the begats because those are the names of real people that GOD used to continue the family tree. He put their names in His word to teach us. He is still using ordinary people and adding to His family everyday.

I love the begats because I love family....my family, my church family, but most importantly I love being a child of the KING.

2 Timothy 3:16 says, "All of God's word is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction and for training in righteousness." That includes the begats!!



No comments:

Post a Comment