Wednesday, July 3, 2013

HE BROUGHT US OUT THAT HE MIGHT BRING US IN by Tony Manley

Bible study on Monday nights this summer has truly been a treat! Each week we are reminded repetitively about the theme we were given from Deuteronomy  -“He brought us out that He might bring us in.” Simple, to the point, and even a little catchy! But another aspect I have enjoyed is the question we get asked pretty quickly each week. Recently we were asked, “How do you know when you are in?”  Well, I thought to myself, I haven’t thought about that before, but I am sure you are going to tell me tonight!  (I assure you that if the ladies in the room knew how hard it is for me to not talk to the screen, they would be so proud of me for keeping it in my head! ☺)

How  do I know when I am in – the place God wants for me to dwell, stay, plant roots, etc…?  The night led into a wonderful blending of Old and New Testament truth about “God is bringing you into a good land…in which you will lack nothing…” (Deut. 8:7-10) and “the grace of God that was given to you in Christ Jesus. For you were made rich in every way in Him…so that you do not lack…” (1 Cor. 1:4-7) Both scriptures use the word “in” and “into” and the teaching “you will lack nothing” and “you do not lack.”

So, where is in? In the Old Testament Deuteronomy, it would be the Promised Land - a land full of fruit/produce and productivity, a good land. For me, as one who has been brought out of darkness, in is Christ. In Christ, there is fruit and productivity rich in grace. In Christ, I do not lack! I am in!!!  I am a simple-minded girl, and I love seeing in this combining of Deuteronomy and 1 Corinthians that the Promised Land for me is Christ. How wonderful to be in and not out…I no longer have to wander. The out and wandering days are “positionally” over! 

The follow-up article, For Our Good Always, addresses how gracious God is by giving me the law, commandments, to live well and freely in the Promised Land of Christ. Unfortunately, sometimes, the word law has become a negative word in the body of Christ. The law is not to be burdensome, but liberating! The protective and loving heart of the Lawgiver is good; therefore, the law is good. Through Christ, the law becomes a delight to live - it is a fruitful and productive life.
  
Can you tell I want to talk and talk about how God weaves Himself perfectly all through the Word? Believe it or not, this is a very condensed version of all I wanted to say. Thank goodness, someone thought about the Reader’s Digest way of presenting novels!!!  I love when my heart is enlightened about an old truth in a new or fresh way!

Basically, I can know when I am living the “in” life – my life will be a place of produce and productivity, my life will be in step with the teachings of Christ, and the way of Christ will be a delight to live.  





No comments:

Post a Comment