Friday, April 26, 2013

NOT JUST OUR FATHER, BUT OUR DADDY by Christie Smith


As women we are multi-taskers. As mothers, we take multi-tasking to a whole new level... and this applies to our relationships as well. Our children see almost every side to us there is to see: the cook, the maid, the chauffer, the dry-cleaner, etc... But they also see us in more personal terms. We're the boo-boo kissers,  the arms that hold them in the middle of the night when they've had a nightmare, the friend when they need to talk about something going on at school, the coach when they need to learn how to throw a fastball or shoot a free-throw. (That last title is reserved for a select few of us moms ;) The list is endless. In my role as mother, I have continuously been able to learn and grow in my relationship with my Heavenly Father because I've been able to personalize things that before I just couldn't understand. 

As I think about my favorite moments with my children and how much I love them, I am finally beginning to see glimpses of how much God loves me. When my babies wake up in the morning and the first thing they want to do is see me, crawl in bed and lie with me, just be with me... oh, how our Father must grieve when we don't run to Him with that same longing. When my kids fall and hurt themselves, I'm the first place they run... no one else will do (except for Daddy of course). But what does it do to Jesus to see us running to everyone and everything but Him when we are hurting? My oldest two are 9 and 10 years old now and it's neat to see how, as they are learning new things, they are continuously turning to see if I'm watching and to see if I'm proud. Do we even think twice about the things we are doing...hoping that God is watching and is proud of us? My 5 year old ran into our room in the middle of the night scared to death over a bad dream and within seconds of being wrapped up in his momma's arms had calmed down and gone back to sleep. He was absolutely sure that as long as Momma and Daddy were there taking care of him, nothing could hurt him anymore. Do we have that much confidence in our Father? With everything happening just this past week...bombs...explosions...politics that continue to attack our faith...can we honestly say that we don't have a care in the world because we know who's holding us? 

Yes, God is holy and just. But He is SO much more!!! When we need someone to be there to set boundaries and rules for our good... He is our Adonai. When we don't know what to do next with our life, we need someone wiser to show us the way...He is our Jehovah-Raah. When we're sick and hurting and need someone to "kiss our boo-boo's" and make us feel better...He is our Jehovah-Rapha. When we need someone there who gives us everything we need, without even asking most of the time... He is our Jehovah Jireh. 

He loves us a thousand times more than our earthly parents ever could. Why is it so hard to love Him that personally? Oh, how His heart must ache!!!

Matthew 7:11(NIV) 
" If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!"

Zephaniah 3:17 (NLT) 
"For the Lord your God is living among you.
 He is a mighty savior.
He will take delight in you with gladness.
 With his love, he will calm all your fears.
 He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.”

1 John 3:1 (MSG) 
"What marvelous love the Father has extended to us! Just look at it—we’re called children of God! That’s who we really are. But that’s also why the world doesn’t recognize us or take us seriously, because it has no idea who he is or what he’s up to."



No comments:

Post a Comment