Friday, November 9, 2012

WHAT DO I WANT MORE OF? by Faye Holley


(Articles between now and Thanksgiving will be based on questions to ask yourself so you can prepare your heart to truly be thankful. They are written by different women in our church. You may want to read the first one, Preparing for Thanksgiving, by Christie Smith.


What do I want more of in my life?  

As I pondered this question, the same thought kept surfacing: Gentleness.

Not to me, but from me to others.  

So how do I get it, in order to give it? 

Gal. 5: 22 – “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness and self-control.”

That sounds too easy, doesn’t it? It is already mine – I just need to cultivate it. I find that to be easier said than done. My desire is to share God’s truth without wavering, but with the gentleness of Jesus.

So, what is a “gentle” spirit?

Nancy Kennedy, author of When He Doesn’t Believe describes a gentle spirit as one that is refined, not rough or harsh. It’s courteous and generous, tame and gracious. It’s calm and calming, mellow and tender. A woman with a gentle spirit is a delight to be around.

The word gentle brings to mind a summer breeze, a mother cuddling her baby, a hand on the shoulder of a grieving friend, a kiss on a scraped knee, a hug that says “I am here for you.”

Gentleness includes true humility that does not consider itself too good or too exalted for humble tasks; it is defined as restraint coupled with strength and courage.

Gentleness involves outward actions!  

I like the way that The Message version of the Bible explains gentleness. It says that through the power of the Holy Spirit, we will no longer feel the need to "force our way in life." (Galatians 5:22 The Message)  

So how do I cultivate gentleness in my life? It seems I need to surrender full control of my life, my soul, my heart, my will – my spirit – to the precious Holy Spirit, asking Him to reveal areas in my life that need more gentleness and asking Him to cultivate gentleness in me. 

I am thankful that God loves me too much to leave me as I am! He is good and everything He does is good!





No comments:

Post a Comment