Wednesday, November 7, 2012

WHAT ARE THE BIGGEST PRIORITIES IN MY LIFE? by Pam Gross


(Articles between now and Thanksgiving will be based on questions to ask yourself so you can prepare your heart to truly be thankful. They are written by different women in our church. You may want to read the first one, Preparing for Thanksgiving, by Christie Smith.


What are the biggest priorities in my life? (Where your heart is, there your time will be also)

Okay, so I don't usually do the writing in my family, but I thought I would try to put some words to the thoughts that this question provoked.

When thinking about this question, I had two trains of thought: what the world's answers would be and how the Lord would answer. I could be very spiritual and answer from the Lord's perspective. But in thinking of how the world views priorities and how Christians should view them, some of my priorities weren't in the proper order!

First, the world's priorities are usually in search of success, happiness, pleasure, money, power, and prestige. I'm not saying that all or any of these are wrong, but they need to be properly prioritized.

"Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the pride of life, is not of the Father but is of the world. And the 
world passes away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever."  I John 2:15-17

 A Christian's priorities should be in contrast to the views of the world. Our priorities should be as follows:
               * Knowing God better every day through personal time with Him in His Word.
                * Developing a good prayer life which is essential for spiritual growth and tuning in to what God is doing in this world.
                *Christians must pour themselves out for others. Of course, this requires daily dying to self and setting aside worldly goals and priorities.
                *Christians are to be salt and light. This should be automatic if we are filled with the Spirit.
                 *We are to love God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength.

Are the activities in my life that get most of my time a reflection of the above priorites?

I must say some were a little off kilter! As a Christian I know all the "right answers." But thinking about the priorities of a Christian versus the worldly priorities, I've had to adjust some of them. In doing so I pray that God will bless me, and in turn, I can be a blessing to those around me. 

I am thankful for so many things in my life. The usual - family, friends, etc. - but during this season of Thanksgiving, I am truly thankful that my priorities can be on the same page with my Father's! And therefore my heart and life can be filled with the Holy Spirit and all my priorities can be in the proper order!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment