Friday, March 16, 2012

DECISIONS by Beth Ann Lampley


The dictionary defines decision as:  a conclusion or resolution reached after consideration, the action or process of deciding something or resolving a question.  We have to make decisions everyday; it is unavoidable.  I’ve never counted the number of decisions I make daily, but I know they are many in number.  My day starts with seemingly simple decisions: what to eat for breakfast, which outfit to wear, how to fix my hair, will I have my quiet time now or later, will I walk or drive to school? You get the idea—I’m sure you all make a few of the same decisions every morning as well.  These decisions aren’t the most monumental considerations in life, but nonetheless, you still make decisions. 

What about the bigger decisions in life?  I’m sure many of you are in the process of choosing a potential college, the place where you will invest four years of life.  Choosing a college is just the beginning because, once in college, you will be faced with many new decisions everyday.  You will have to decide what to major in, what to minor in, whom you will be friends with (which is HUGE), where and what you will be involved in on campus, which church home to choose (also HUGE), where you should work, how you will balance your time, who you will date, what your standards are, whether you will fit in or stand out, how you will serve the Lord, what your legacy will be.  I could write out hundreds of questions and decisions you will face, but you’ll get there soon enough and discover each one on your own.

So if we understand that decisions are an inevitable part of life, how can we best make them? First, I want you to rest in these truths:
            -God loves you and will take care of you
            -God is sovereign
            -God is faithful
            -God is worthy of our trust and our praise
            -God is present and in all things even when we can’t seem to find Him
            -God has a specific purpose for your life—He has GREAT plans for you

The best way to make decisions is to fervently and whole-heartedly seek the Lord.  Sounds broad and general, doesn’t it, or easier said than done.  Matthew 6:33 says, “But seek FIRST the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.” Proverbs 3:5-6 lays it out for us, “TRUST in the Lord with ALL your heart and do not lean on your own understanding.  In ALL your ways ACKNOWLEDGE Him and He will make your paths straight.  That verse tells me, if I trust God and seek Him in my decision-making, HE WILL show me what to do.  Verse 7 goes on to say, “Be not wise in your own eyes.”  As women, how often do we think we have the best and most logical way to make decisions on our own?  Does anybody know what I’m talking about? I believe it all goes back to our pride and realizing that we do indeed need God. 

If we call to God, asking Him what in the world we are supposed to do, He will answer us.  Jeremiah 33:3 says, “Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known.”  He doesn’t say he’ll think about answering us; he says HE WILL! Praise God for that!

How do we seek Him? In all things, seek God through prayer and the intentional reading of His Word. I promise you, there is an answer for everything in His Word. Also, ask that God would give you peace as you make decisions. I’ll leave you with this, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  (Phil. 4:6-7) Don’t be anxious, dear sisters; God’s got you. You may not always understand the ways of God, but that is okay—His ways and His answers are much higher (and better) than our own. 




No comments:

Post a Comment