Wednesday, March 21, 2012

CIRCUMSTANCES by Tony Manley

“Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly.”  Phil. 1:12-14

“…I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.”  Phil. 4:11b

How can Paul write about contentment in chapter four when we read in chapter one he is in prison and in chains?  Not to mention all the other encouragement in the verses between 1:14 and 4:11!

Perspective helps! Chapter 3 verses 12-14:  “Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.  Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it.  But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”

His “directionality” is seen in “press on,” “forgetting what is behind,” “straining toward what is ahead,” “toward the goal,” and “heavenward.”  My perspective in circumstances can strengthen/encourage my heart or enable me to grow weary.

Paul seemed to understand also that his response to his circumstance impacted others.  The gospel was seen more clearly as he endured without complaining or arguing (Phil. 2:14-15). Philippians 1:14 even says others were encouraged to speak out the word with courage and without fear.  My response in my circumstances can draw others to Christ and even strengthen another’s heart.  I never know who may be watching and listening to me while I am working through a difficult moment, but I can be encouraged that God has purpose to be glorified in me and through me to the degree I will respond in surrender to Him!

“Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds.”  James 1:2

I can honestly tell you I am not truly at the place of pure joy when I face trials, but I can tell you I want to know the freedom and fruit God promises as I grow in His perspective and respond with His heart to my circumstances!   (Did you notice I “snuck” a little James in there…it’s never too far away from the heart these days :)




No comments:

Post a Comment