Thursday, April 10, 2014

Let It Go by Paula Roten

Have you heard the "Let It Go" song from the new Frozen movie? Who hasn't, right? There's the original, the one done in different Disney and Pixar voices, and even one sung by a very talented 11 year old with an African flavor to it. Why, I even saw where a preacher mentioned it on Facebook this morning. So it started me thinking about that phrase Let it go.

I enjoy my Bible app on my iPhone. I typed Let go in the search box and up popped Bible verses that included those words. My own personal Bible study this morning included these verses:

Job 20:12-1 (NIV) - Though evil is sweet in his mouth and he hides it under his tongue, though he cannot bear to let it go...it will become the venom of serpents within him.

Job 27:6 (NIV) - I will maintain my righteousness and never let go of it. 

Psalm 37:8 (CEB) - Let go of anger and leave rage behind! Don't get upset - it will only lead to evil.

Psalm 46:10 (GW) - Let go [of your concerns]! Then you will know that I am God. I rule the nations. I rule the earth.

Psalm 138:8 (CEB) - The Lord will do all this for my sake. Your faithful love lasts forever, Lord! Don't let go of what your hands have made. 

Proverbs 3:3 (GNT) - Never let go of loyalty and faithfulness. Tie them around your neck; write them on your heart. 

Proverbs 4:13 (NKJV) - Take firm hold of instruction, do not let go; Keep her, for she is your life. 

Matthew 6:12 (AMP) - And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven (left, remitted, let go of the debts, and have given up resentment against) our debtors. 

Mark 7:8 (NIV) - You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions. 

Hebrews 12:1 (CEVU) - Such a large crowd of witnesses is all around us! So we must get rid of everything that slows us down, especially the sin that just won't let go. And we must be determined to run the race that is ahead of us. 

Hebrew 6:18-20 (MSG) - We who have run for our very lives to God have every reason to grab the promised hope with both hands and never let go. It's an unbreakable spiritual lifeline, reaching past all appearances right to the very presence of God where Jesus, running on ahead of us, has taken up his permanent post as high priest for us, in the order of Melchizedek. 

Revelation 2:4 (CEB) - But I have this against you: you have let go of the love you had at first. 

Here's what I learned:

  • Things I don't let go of but should - evil, anger, rage, my concerns and problems of life, things others have done to me or owe me and my resentment toward them, worthless traditions, things that slow me down in my Christian life, my apathy toward sin
  • Things I have let go of but shouldn't - God's commands, my love for Jesus
  • Things I must never let go of - my righteousness (while I can never lose my salvation, I can lose my focus on it) and my right living (living in a way that shows I am saved), loyalty and faithfulness, Godly instruction, the promised hope of God



No comments:

Post a Comment