Thursday, April 3, 2014

Contentment by Cathy Westmoreland


What is contentment? I have been been thinking about this subject quite a bit lately. It all started with a simple phone call to my Aunt. I asked her, "How are you?" and her answer was, "I
am very content." Contented was not the answer I was expecting, but it was a great one. Her statement stuck in my mind and I couldn't shake it, so I went to my Bible Concordance and found several verses about contentment. After reading those, I believe contentment is being happy with what GOD has blessed me with. Being satisfied.

When our lives are full of grumbling or complaining it simply shows a lack of trust in GOD. Contentment will never be dependent on our circumstances, but will always be dependent on our reactions and responses to them.

I have told my grandchildren that it's not important what size home I live in, but it is important who lives in me. Then why does this ole lady feel discontent at times? Because I want to give them more materially. God through His grace and mercy has saved me, given me His word and the Holy Spirit. Sharing that with my grandchildren is the best gift I can offer.

Contentment is not the fulfillment of what I want. It is the realization of how much I already have. If we know Jesus Christ...we are BLESSED and should be contented.

Have you ever noticed that the happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything? They just make the best of everything they have. True contentment will not be found in location, wealth, poverty, suffering, blessing, job, pleasures, good deeds, health, pleasing others, or stuff. Contentment can be found through a surrendered life to Christ alone!

Here are the verses I found as I was going through another spiritual check-up:
Philippians 4:11-12  - "Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means and I also know to how to live in prosperity, in any and every circumstance. I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering."

Hebrews 13:5  - "Let your character be free from the love of money, being content with what you have, for He Himself has said, "I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you."

Philippians 2:14  - "Do all things without grumbling or disputing."





No comments:

Post a Comment