Bow Ties with Sausage, Tomatoes, and Cream - serves 6
1 (12 ounce) package bow tie pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed and crumbled
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup diced onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style plum tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain.
2. Heat oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Cook sausage and pepper flakes until sausage is evenly brown. Stir in onion and garlic, and cook until onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes, cream, and salt. Simmer until mixture thickens, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Stir cooked pasta into sauce, and heat through. Sprinkle with parsley.
- This recipe can be cut in half very easily.
- Feel free to use variations: use the bulk Italian sausage (hot or mild), omit the red pepper flakes (especially if you have children), use the tiny bow tie pasta or your favorite shape (some children seem to like the little pasta shapes better)
- left-overs reheat very well