Do you find yourself cooking the traditional black-eyed peas or cabbage for New Year's Day? It seems to be a thing some Southerners do. If you're one of those, here is a recipe from allrecipes.com you might want to try.
Fried Cabbage with Bacon, Onion, and Garlic
6 slices bacon, chopped
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large head cabbage, cored and sliced
1 tsp. salt, (changed from original recipe, so you may want to add more to taste)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1. Place the bacon in a large stockpot and cook over medium-high heat until crispy, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion caramelizes, about 10 minutes.
3. Immediately stir in the cabbage and continue to cook and stir another 10 minutes.
4. Season with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika.
5. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes more.