Thursday, September 19, 2013

STOP, LOOK, AND LISTEN by Tony Manley


By far, my favorite phrase in the classroom “Stop, look, and listen” is ringing in the ears of my students in the opening weeks of school. That phrase is often followed with “I’m giving you answers” and me snapping fingers and hoping all eyes are turned, focused, and absorbing all my wise and insightful words. But…

The reality is hearts become disinterested, discouraged and/or distracted in life just as in the classroom! I have envisioned God saying to me, “Stop, look, and listen, I am about to give you answers” as I gaze blankly into my day or numbly engage in the mundane details of life. Yet, when students know there is a test or an accountability issue at stake, the interest level is awakened! I am just like them. Let me stumble on a tough or different thing/person and my attentiveness is amped up.
  
I am not even going to ask why this is, because I am weary with saying and hearing “because we’re human and that’s just the way we are.” I want better for my students, and I want better for my life. I love the statement – the flesh is an explanation, but it is not an excuse. Scripture supports this truth.

   “For we know that our old self was crucified with Him SO THAT the body of sin might be done away with, THAT WE SHOULD NO LONGER BE SLAVES TO SIN.” Rom. 6:6 

  “But know that you have been set free from sin and have BECOME SLAVES TO GOD, the benefit you reap leads to holiness…” Rom. 6:22  

 “You have been set free from sin and have become SLAVES TO RIGHTEOUSNESS.”  Rom.6:18

God says to me, “Stop, look, and listen – I am giving you answers!”  The Word (written and living) has life to speak to me for this day! Sit up, pay attention, and just do it!







No comments:

Post a Comment