Wednesday, September 25, 2013

GETTING STUMPED BY A SECOND GRADER by Tony Manley


Recently in class, we were discussing and sorting living things versus nonliving things. The living things need food and water, and they grow. Nonliving things do not need these things. I would definitely say I was comfortable and successful in my explanation and leadership on this topic.  

As we were finishing and preparing to pack up for home, I had a student come ask me, “Mrs. Manley, is the Bible a living or nonliving thing?” Now, I want to point out we had placed books in the nonliving category. But he wasn’t asking about books, he wanted to know about the Bible specifically. One of the facts I want them to know about the Bible is that the Bible is the living Word of God. “For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12

So, there you go! I paused and immediately said, “The Bible is a living thing.” This question has caused me to be refreshed about the Bible as a living thing. The message of the Bible is alive, active, sharp, powerful, and able to bring change to the heart. The Bible as an item is a nonliving thing. But, I would rather tell a child the truth about the life of the Bible than to cause confusion to him on where to categorize the message of the Word.

I love the way children think. I am encouraged that somewhere in all my dissertations about the Bible, that just maybe the words - living and Bible - stuck enough to cause a child to want clarity about where to place the Bible categorically.  

At the end of the day, my prayer would be for these children – “I have hidden Your word in my heart that I might not sin against You.” Ps. 119:11

Where do I want my students to place God’s word? In their hearts!



No comments:

Post a Comment