Tuesday, November 29, 2011

UNTENDED FIELDS by Tony Manley

“I went past the field of the sluggard, past the vineyard of the man who lacks judgment; thorns had come up everywhere, the ground was covered with weeds, and the stone wall was in ruins.  I applied my heart to what I observed and learned a lesson from what I saw: A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest - and poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man.”  Prov. 24:30-34

What a great picture of an untended field reminding me of an untended heart! Lazy, apathetic, ungrateful…you get the picture!  The scripture says:
 “thorns everywhere” - thorns are hurtful, uninviting, and avoided!
 “covered with weeds” - weeds distract, overcome, and are bothersome
 “wall was in ruins” - no protection, broken, not useful
The conclusion of the scripture was that the neglect of the field brought about poverty and need (scarcity) which rendered the field not useful! I am envious and even amazed at the detail of a master gardener.  The energy and perseverance to accomplish an award winning display - organizing, studying, caring for the growth of the garden, yet quickly dealing with the hurtful pests and weeds of the garden.

A thorny, weedy, unprotected heart has no fruit and is desperately in need of a Caretaker.  The Caretaker of the heart is attentive, caring, nurturing, and knowledgeable.  I am so grateful that the Caretaker of my heart has the same goal/plan for me as a master gardener has for his garden - to protect me from thorns that keep others from seeing Jesus in me, to weed out the “uglies” (attitudes, wrongs, motives, self), and then to keep His protection around and in my life.  

Fall is a great time to be attentive to my “field” as I prepare my heart for a season of colder and darker days – winter!  Having a teachable heart in the less busy time of “gardening” will yield a more glorious work in the season of spring – a display of Him in radiance!   

No comments:

Post a Comment