Wednesday, November 2, 2011

DISCOVERING YOUR STYLE by Stacy McSpadden

Color Color Everywhere!

Color.  It is all around us.  Whether it's a bright blue sky or a field of luscious green grass, it is all around us.  Color can change our mood in an instant.  Color is the least expensive way to change the appearance of your home.  You should never fear use of a colorful palette.

Most people don't know this, but different colors have different meanings.  I am going to give you an overview of color meaning, but I am going to attach this site so that you can read more.
http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-meaning.html

Red is an aggressive color.  It is the color that motivates us and energizes us.  Red is also a hunger color.  I didn't know that this was the case when I chose to paint my kitchen red.  Maybe this is why I am constantly battling my will when it comes to eating right and being healthy!  I love red though, and I have enjoyed it in my kitchen.  It is not a particularly relaxing color, so I would avoid painting a bedroom red.


Yellow is a happy color.  It is also the color of intellect.  Yellow makes us cheerful and happy, and I think that is why you see it used more than any other color when it comes to home furnishings.  I like to use yellow as my "neutral" color throughout my home.  If you think about it, reds, greens, blues all look great with yellows.  You also see a lot of nurseries painted with yellow because a baby's room should be happy and cheerful, and most people do want their babies to be intellectual.


Green is nature's color.  It symbolizes growth, like the plants and green things we see around nature.  It also means safety.  You see many masculine rooms painted green because men tend to like nature and being outside.  We also consider men our protectors!


Blue is the color of trust, confidence, and faith.  It is also soothing.  Think about a spa.  It is relaxing and a haven for most people to go and decompress.  Bedrooms are great painted blue.  I am usually not a fan of blue, but I am warming up to the thought of a soft spa blue in my bedroom.


Once you have established the color that you are trying to achieve in your rooms, be sure that you purchase a quart of the paint colors that you are considering and test it on the wall.  Many of us have made the mistake of picking a color from the little chip, but it doesn't turn out like we thought it would.  It is a lot less expensive to invest in a quart of paint than to paint the whole room and find that you have made a really bad mistake.

Color can change the look of your room in a dramatic way.  Don't be afraid of color!  It is your design friend!

In Him,
Stacy







Stacy McSpadden
Manager of Interior Design Services
Chestnut Hall Interiors
3075 Forest Hill Irene Road
Germantown, Tennessee 38138
901.753.8515
stacy@chestnuthall.com

No comments:

Post a Comment