Wednesday, November 30, 2011

DISCOVERING YOUR STYLE by Stacy McSpadden

Go Organic.  
It's not just for produce and milk anymore!  
Christmas Edition!!!!




A few weeks ago I wrote about how to decorate "green," and I started thinking about how we can really incorporate our "green" living in our Christmas decorating.  This is a practice that I have seen my mom and grandmother do since I was a child, but they didn't consider it "green;" they just liked the things we see in nature for the Christmas design.  My grandmother had a huge magnolia tree in her backyard surrounded by pine trees, and every year she would take the magnolia leaves and pine cones and make great mantle and door decor for her house at Christmas. She also had a huge bush that had these beautiful red berries (I am not up on the names of plants and trees) that she would cut and incorporate into the arrangements.  My mom picked up on all of this, and we would go over to Grandmother's to cut pine and magnolia leaves and berries and pine cones for our house.  

My mom still uses these God-given decorations in her home to this day. She traditionally gathers stems of fresh pine and berries, wires them together, and then adds a pretty bow for her mailbox and front door decoration.  She also will take stems of magnolia leaves and put them in a large silver urn that she has in her living room.  It's all very simple and inexpensive.  All you need is the ribbon and maybe a little wire. Mom doesn't even realize that she is being "green"!!!

I found some pictures online of some neat ideas for decorating "green" for Christmas.  You can even go to Aldi, Sam's, or Costco and buy fresh garland and wreaths for a great price.  I love all kinds of Christmas decor, but I am probably more traditional when it comes to my favorites for Christmas.







God gave us the best gift we could ever get for Christmas, and using the nature He has created for our decor reminds us of Him.  Happy Christmas decorating!!!

In Him,

Stacy









Stacy McSpadden
Manager of Interior Design Services
Chestnut Hall Interiors
3075 Forest Hill Irene Road
Germantown, Tennessee 38138
901.753.8515
stacy@chestnuthall.com

No comments:

Post a Comment