Thursday, May 1, 2014

Anyone Up for a Power Trip? by Donna Clayton

Recently on a trip to Minneapolis, I stopped in the airport and bought a copy of Marie Claire magazine. Not because I usually read this magazine, but because I watch Project Runway on Lifetime, and the designers often have their creations featured in the magazine.
  
As I flipped through the magazine, I happened upon an intriguing article called “The New Power Trip” by Abby Aguirre. It caught my eye because of the beautiful photo collage on the title page. So I read the article with the Holy Spirit as my guide, accompanying my thoughts.  

The article was about Ayahuasca, a psychedelic drug that originates in the Amazon, which is currently being used in the United States in shaman-guided rituals. The objective?  “…to spend four to five hours seeing yourself, and others with unflinching clarity.” It is a self-examining drug that women especially are drawn to. According to anthropologist Jeremy Narby, who has studied the drug and even written a book about it,  “…the drug functions like ‘the Drano of the soul.’ It’s going to kick you in the pants and show you what you need to know about yourself.”

Wait a minute!! Isn’t that what God’s Word does for us? Hebrews 4:12 tells us that “the Word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” John 8:31-32 also tells us “If you abide in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you shall know the truth, and truth shall make you free.”  

 God’s Word is not illegal in the United States. It is amazing to me that people sincerely want what the Lord offers freely, but will spend countless dollars, too much time, and risk being arrested to find the deceptive alternative. Let’s take a REAL power trip with the Creator of the Universe to find out what we need to know about ourselves.

Thank You, Holy Spirit, for helping me make the connection. Help me help others make the connection. Let me always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks me to give the reason for the hope that I have.  1 Peter 3:15



No comments:

Post a Comment