Thursday, March 27, 2014

Zucchini Noodles by Paula Roten

Recently, my daughter sent a "happy" to my house. I had been wanting to play with a spiralizer or spirooli or zoodler or spiral vegetable slicer. They have a lot of different names (and prices!) but seem to all be the same thing. You see, I'm a sucker for kitchen gadgets, and this one intrigued me. So she sent it to me!



I love zucchini and yellow squash, and I had seen where people had used this gadget to make squash "noodles." I was wondering if I might be able to substitute these squash noodles for pasta. So my first recipe was Zucchini Noodles from Allrecipes.com. I made it using a mixture of yellow squash and zucchini and LOVED the squash cooked this way. It tastes so much better than just chopped up. Ok, it may all be in my head, but so be it! Then I decided to see if I could sub it for pasta. I made a tomato garlic reduction to put on top of my zoodles. It was great too! So now I'm on the search for other ways to use my zoodles. So far, I've used my zoodles in Chicken Zoodle Soup and used them as a base for a chicken alfredo sauce. They're a winner every time. (If you don't have a spiralizer, you can use a vegetable peeler or a mandolin.)


photo of the Paderno in use by bd. weld

INGREDIENTS:
6 zucchini
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons margarine
1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
salt and black pepper to taste
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
DIRECTIONS:
1.Cut zucchini into thin, noodle-like strips (a mandoline works well for this). Toss with the 2 teaspoons salt, and place in a colander to drain for 30 minutes.
2.Bring a pot of water to boil. Add zucchini; cook for one minute. Drain; rinse immediately with cold water to stop cooking.
3.Heat margarine in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add zucchini and garlic; cook and stir until just tender, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.


*NOTE - I skip steps 1 and 2 in this recipe and go straight to cooking my zucchini and garlic in the butter. Works just fine. 



No comments:

Post a Comment