Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Land of IF...Part Deux by Tony Manley


As God would have it, He wanted me to do a part “two” (do you love my French – deux means two!) about the word IF. The scripture actually has some very encouraging truths about IF.

“What, then, shall we say in response to this? IF God is for us, who can be against us?”  Rom. 8:31

“Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest IF we do not give up.”  Gal. 6:9

“My son, IF you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding, and IF you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding , and IF you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, THEN you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.”  Prov. 2:1-5

“IF we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”  1 Jn. 1:9

As I have thought about IF, I wonder IF the word IF depends on what I put with the IF that dictates how helpful or destructive the word can be. (Chew on that statement awhile!) I do see IF ONLY smells a lot like a whiny and discontented starting point. But when IF leads to God’s ways – no fear, no quitting, no resisting or rejecting God’s instruction, and no hoarding sin – then, definitely, IF is a great place to begin. (*the book of Proverbs is a book full of contrasts with IF…)

God is so faithful to instruct. He uses the perfect words, and IF is a perfect word for me. IF is a great heart “crossroad” word. IF screams choice or option. IF is a fork in the road between flesh and spirit. IF encourages me in the battle, which by the way, I am grateful for, because before I became a new creation in Christ, I did not have a battle within me. There was just dead flesh and no IF leading to abundant and eternal life (John 10:10).

The part “deux” of IF is a triumphant part. Now, IF I will choose the victorious IF over the defeating IF, I will have God’s promises of strength, forgiveness, wisdom, and much more!

(note to self – write out all the scriptures containing the word IF and sort out the destructive from the constructive results of IF –put that on Pinterest!!! ☺)



No comments:

Post a Comment