Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Mother of the Bride by Kim Wright


I’ve just experienced a new kind of tired: “Mother of the Bride” tired! Its only close rival is “Mother of a Newborn” tired…and both experiences are similar in that while they bring joy and happiness and anticipation of great things to come…they both have a way of leaving you physically, emotionally, and even spiritually depleted. 

The morning before my daughter’s wedding, I was exhausted. My plate was full. I had a “to do” list a mile long, and just a few short hours to get them checked off. Along with all my wedding responsibilities, I had my family responsibilities…most mothers of the bride don’t have to juggle 9 other kids and their schedules at the same time they’re trying to pull off a wedding…can I just say, I was in over my head!? I was completely and utterly overwhelmed.

I got up early because, frankly, I couldn’t sleep. My mind was so busy that I had simply tossed and turned all night, unable to turn off my thoughts and succumb to a much needed rest. I sat down at the computer, planning to check my emails and looking for something mindless to occupy my few moments of quiet. I knew I should do my Bible study, but to be honest, I didn’t want to think…I didn’t want anything that would cause effort of any kind…I just wanted to escape for a few blessed minutes.

As I waited for my computer to load, I felt a tugging at my heart…
"this might be the only opportunity I had today to read my Bible and to have time alone with Jesus"…"I really should make the effort"..."I might need what He has to say to me."

I switched off my computer before it ever got started and trudged over to my recliner. I grudgingly picked up my Bible and started where my bookmark had left me last time. I really was not in the mood for this. I was going through the motions because I knew it was the right thing to do…but my heart really wasn’t in it.

The very first verse waiting for me that morning:
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."  Matt. 11:28-30

Wow. I had almost missed it…this beautiful, life giving, encouraging love note from my Savior. He knew exactly where I was and what I needed…and He had it right there waiting for me. I was completely humbled and awed and overwhelmed by His great love and compassion for me. I wept at His mercies which really are new every morning!

I looked a little deeper at this verse. What is a “yoke” exactly? My dictionary said it was a device that joined together a pair of animals, such as oxen. The two would work together to plow a field. 

While this verse has many different meanings and connotations, on this day, for my need at hand, I understood that He wasn’t going to necessarily take my work load away…but He was going to help me do it! For a moment, I imagined myself as a smaller weaker animal who’d never worked a field of this magnitude before, yoked together with a large muscular veteran. He was going to do most of the work for me. I simply had to walk along beside him...He would take the brunt of it for me. He would make things easier for me…He would make my burden light.  

I also noticed that I was to learn gentleness and humility from Him. How interesting that He threw that in with these verses about experiencing weariness and carrying burdens, because I tend to be snippy and selfish when I am tired and stressed. How I needed that loving reminder to respond in gentleness and humility of heart throughout my busy weekend!!

How grateful I am that God took the time to speak to me through His Word. He met me at my point of need. He spoke directly to my situation.  

Now I want to encourage you…what is YOUR need? I can assure you that God knows every detail of your life. He knows your thoughts. He knows your needs. He knows your burdens. He not only knows…He cares. His Word is relevant and True…a sure foundation. Take the time to read it…even if you don’t feel like it! Don’t neglect it! You never know what love note He might have waiting for YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment