Tuesday, January 22, 2013

ROTEL POTATOES by Rachel Dowdy

Recently, a rather strange conversation took place on Facebook. Someone asked me if I knew the Rotel Potato recipe that had been taken to a friend's funeral several years ago. I replied that I didn't. Several others commented, but then someone else came on and said to ask Rachel Dowdy. So one Sunday, I caught her in the hallway at church and asked her about it. I found out that she had just made up that recipe! She told me how she made it but didn't really have specific measurements. Here's what she told me: "Oh, just boil some potatoes. Then slice them and put in a casserole dish. Make Rotel Dip and add a can of cream of mushroom soup and pour over the top. Bake till bubbly." 

I tried to recreate it for Care Group recently and everyone liked it. Feel free to adjust it however you think. The recipe below is exactly what I did.

~Paula Roten


ROTEL POTATOES by Rachel Dowdy
3 lbs. whole, unpeeled potatoes (I think I would use a few less potatoes next time)
1 lb. Velveeta cheese, cubed
1 (10 oz.) can Rotel Tomatoes
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can Cream of Mushroom Soup


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Boil whole potatoes in a soup pot until just done, 20 minutes or so. Do not over cook.
3. Meanwhile combine cheese and tomatoes in a large bowl and cook in microwave until cheese is melted. Stir well every minute or two.
4. Add cream of mushroom soup and stir well.
5. Allow potatoes to cool just enough to handle.
6. Cut into round slices and layer in a 9x13 casserole dish, layering with the Rotel mixture.
7. Bake in oven until hot through and through and bubbly around outside edges, approximately 20 minutes.






No comments:

Post a Comment