Friday, February 17, 2012

WHAT ARE YOU PURSUING by Beth Ann Lampley

As I write this post in my small living room, I look around and see that within a short reach are my laptop, television, iPhone, and iPod.  Within my iPhone alone are numerous texts, emails, and Apps that can consume my attention and focus.  I want to check Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Path, and the list goes on.  Technology has become a god in our world today.  We “need” it. We can’t live with out it.  I love technology, but I also see what a drain it can be in my life. 
 
I would be embarrassed to see the calculation of hours spent on social networking sites, the internet, and time in front of the TV.  Let’s just be honest, girls. How many of us have spent a ridiculous amount of time on the computer “Facebook stalking” or pinning until you can’t pin anymore on Pinterest?  Do we spend as much time studying the Word, praying, and loving others as we do on the internet?  Are we as constant in our pursuit of Christ as we are in pursuing the things of this world?

“Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” (Rom. 12:2).  

Is your mind being renewed daily by spending time with the Lord, or is your mind cluttered and drained from chasing the world? Are you allowing the Lord to give you fresh strength and life for your soul everyday?  I fear that we spend too much time examining the lives of others and comparing ourselves to them rather than examining the life of Christ and learning who we are in Him. 
Don’t waste your life and time on the internet, your phone, or whatever else it is that is consuming too much of you.  Time flies when you’re wasting it.  Let’s be diligent women of God by being good stewards of the time He’s allowed us.  Psalm 63 says, “O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.”   I urge you dear sisters, SEEK the Lord, SEEK Him.  He chooses to love you. Love Him back with your whole heart.  Choose to spend more time with Him than the fleeting things of this world.  I think it all comes down to this - Do you really want Jesus and how badly?

I’ll leave you with one last thought.  As you strive to spend more time with the Lord, I encourage you to spend more time with your family too.  When you spend time with them, don’t allow your phone to be glued to your hands.  Have good conversation and really listen. You might be surprised how fun it is to just talk and listen!  


No comments:

Post a Comment