Wednesday, February 15, 2012

PEOPLE...CAN'T LIVE WITH THEM AND CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT THEM by Tony Manley

What do you think – is that a true statement to your heart or not?  I almost wrote “women – can’t live with them and can’t live without them,” but I thought I might offend somebody!  Keep in mind I am a woman, so I am not slamming someone I am not familiar with experientially! 

During the Bible study break (between being thrown overboard with Jonah and now the startup of James), I took on the task of paraphrasing the book of Proverbs for the grand project of presenting it someday to my grandchildren.  I am well aware my sons have outgrown my thinking and intellect (that is now their wives’ jobs to impart to them), so I am now attacking the grandchildren!!! As I went through the book I saw several themes, but one that screamed at me was the destruction a woman can bring on with her power of influence, her tongue, and her manipulative heart. Gossipy, adulterous, divisive; just be attentive to God’s intent when He speaks of the female.  He also is very descriptive in the truth of a woman who is godly. So please know I am not just pouncing on the negative, but also on the power of a woman washed, dressed, and fragranced in the Word!

God is very direct when speaking to women.  Not being a man, I can’t speak to the issues God tends to equate with their natures (lust, work priorities, loving a wife as Christ loves the church), but it seems to me, He talks a lot to women about their mouths.  In other words, deal with your heart because out of the heart the mouth speaks!  It is an amazing thing to watch little girls begin to whisper, pair off, laugh at others, and exclude at a young age.  I wonder – do they learn that/catch that from us big girls?  Also, as girls get older, to see them begin to use their bodies (dress, eyes, words, behaviors) as enticers. Proverbs has much to say to us about these areas:  the adulterous woman has several chapters dedicated to her! Then, to be a part of women in a group (work, home, church, friendships,) who are hurtful, exclusive, harsh…that can be a real joy-stealer.  I remember when I became a Christian and the excitement of being in a family that was going to be functional and “new.” I watched everything, soaked in every word, and believed these women were going to be my new sisters and I would learn how to be a “church lady,” something I had only admired from afar. I did learn much and now, I have lived long enough to “reap” some of the truths of the principles God gives about a woman’s place or sphere of influence...good and bad reaping.

I guess if I have to sum up this dissertation, I would say:
         Have a fragrant mouth
         Be an example of purity
         Realize others do watch and listen (big and little)
         Encourage others with your response and behavior

There are women all around us that motivate us to be more like Christ; my desire is to be that woman to someone else. What a rich community we would enjoy if all the sisters would be “that” woman who motivates Christ’s ways to be emulated!

No comments:

Post a Comment