Friday, February 21, 2014

My Kind of Love Story by Kim Wright


Don’t you just love a good “love story?”  It seems this time of year especially brings the thought of romance to the forefront of everyone’s mind. Music and movies abound with the theme. My personal favorites are the ones with happy endings…the one where the guy gets the girl in the end. 
   
One of my husband’s favorites ends horribly to me! The man and woman are obviously in love…but they choose to go their separate ways! 
  
“If he really loves her, why doesn’t he go after her?” I always complain.  

“He does love her, but he knows she’d have to give up too much to be with him…he knows he just has to let her go,” he always patiently replies. 

This kind of love story doesn’t satisfy me! I want someone who loves me enough to chase after me…to fight for me! I want someone who loves me too much to let me go!

Thankfully, I have a real life Love like that. I’ve been thinking a lot over the past few weeks about a character of God that we don’t talk about much: His Jealousy. It seems a little strange...almost shameful to our simple human minds! We know what jealousy looks like to us. Our jealousy is clinging and insecure! It grabs and connives and manipulates. It is ugly and whining and fearful. Our jealousy is not the jealousy of which God speaks.

God’s jealousy is righteous. It is the determination of One who says, “Take your hands off her…she’s mine!” He is the True Love who shows up at the perfect moment and professes His love… just before the bride that should be His is betrothed to another. He is the Lover who is willing to fight for His girl. 

He is the One who chases her when she runs away…

He is the One who continues to search for her until she’s found…

He is the One who tenderly takes her back, even though she was unfaithful…

He is the One who is willing to wait for her…

He is the One who comes to her rescue when she’s being held against her will…

He is the One who loves her so much…He’s willing to die for her.

Now THAT’s my kind of love story!

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39 NIV




No comments:

Post a Comment