Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Deer in the Headlights by Tony Manley


I don’t think on this side of heaven that I will ever stop having “deer in the headlights” events! Situations that just cause my eyes to open as wide as possible, my heart rate to go out of control, my brain screaming “This isn’t real or happening” or “Where did this come from” or “I am going to run away”! I had one this week. In some ways, I think my brain and my eyes are still glued to the top of my forehead – I hear that Botox will relax that type of face!

In the midst of this week, the Bible study drove home the questions “Does God really care?” and “Can I trust God?”  I know these are such basic questions to this woman’s heart and they illicit a flippant “yes” response on the way out the door, but as I walk in new pastures with the Shepherd of my life, I am finding the layers of my heart and faith being peeled back IN ORDER TO be strengthened and filled with a greater love, trust, appreciation, and trust in Him.

At our house, we often say, “Don’t pray to be like Jesus if you don’t really mean it!” To be like Jesus is going to take me to the moments, settings, and headlights of being bare before the Lord.  How will I know God cares if I never am in a place of need or pain, misrepresented, misunderstood, betrayed, or rejected? These words describe the life of Jesus. How do I know I can trust Him if I never need Him to be greater than me?

The “deer in the headlights” moment has proved to be good for me. The scripture in Psalm 73: 2 “But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold” was happening to me and I needed help. Emotions can be powerfully misleading and even defeating. But God, being the good Shepherd, took this sheep to the place of confrontation IN ORDER TO bring my heart back to trusting only Him. He showed me His care by placing me in the “headlights” of exposing my feet/heart slipping to the pit of emotions that was becoming the ruling powers of my life.

I agree with Asaph in verse 28 of Psalm 73: “But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of ALL Your deeds.” God’s deeds are always good, even in the “headlights” moments!





No comments:

Post a Comment