Wednesday, January 11, 2012

2012 DESIGN TRENDS by Stacy McSpadden

Happy New Year everyone!  I hope everyone's holiday season was the best ever.  With all the post-holiday hustle and bustle, I have been trying to decide on the areas of design that we may want to tackle in 2012.  I have taken a look back at the trends that defined 2011, and I don't think that we will see too many changes.

Here are 3 things that I think we will see in design in 2012:

1. The Wing Back Chair, Revived.  Most people have these in the attic or in the living room that no one ever uses.  We are seeing wing backs reupholstered in a bright, fun fabric, and it's taken a step further by painting the legs a complimentary color.  The newer wing backs have taller backs and wider wings which give the chair a more transitional feel.  I would love to attack our sea of wing backs at the church and do something fun!


Photo courtesy of www.wesleyhall.com

2. Traditional feels with updated furniture frames.  When I was at a workshop in Hickory, North Carolina, we got to preview upcoming fabric choices.  They put neutral linens and herringbone patterns on classics like the Chesterfield Sofa.  We also saw modernized motifs, like the hunt scene, placed on Mid-Century style frames.  And the floral print is back, but instead of seeing it on Grandma's chintz sofa or draperies, we are seeing it on linens and fabrics with more texture.


Photo Courtesy of www.crlaine.com

3. Bright fabrics!  I love bright colors and patterns in fabric.  We recently received a preview of fabrics that will be shown at the April Market in High Point.  Neutrals are still everywhere, but punches of color in pillows and accent chairs are everywhere.  Look for funky paisleys and chevron stripes.

                
                Photo courtesy of www.facebook.com/wesleyhall

I am attending the Atlanta International Gift and Home Furnishings Market this weekend.  I will be shopping for bedding and Christmas primarily, but I am hoping to look through other showrooms.  You can follow me on Twitter this weekend as I will be posting fun updates! Just go to www.twitter.com/semcspadden.  I am looking forward to showing everyone what to expect next Christmas!  Until then...Happy Designing!


In Him,

Stacy McSpadden




No comments:

Post a Comment