Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Keep Walking by Christie Smith

Psalm 42:1 "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God."

In my younger days, I enjoyed hiking. One of my favorite hiking experiences came one summer during a trip to Colorado. I'd always gone snow skiing in this area during spring break, but found the beauty of the mountains absolutely breathtaking during the summer months. I also found the hike breathtaking...literally. The energy it took to hike these trails and the higher altitudes was almost more than I could handle. And the heat and exercise made me grab my water bottle every few minutes it seemed. My friend and I were over half the way up when I realized I was almost out of water. I desperately wanted to make it to the top, but wasn't sure if I'd make it without a refill. Should I just turn around? Or continue hiking and looking for a stream along the way? My competitive nature pushed me to keep going. I couldn't let my friend...who was a boy, beat me...the girl. So, on we went keeping an eye open for any source of water. Out of water and not sure how much further it was to the top, I contunued on in determination. What else could I do?

Sometimes I feel that very same way in my spiritual hike. I have those "dry spells" where it seems like I just can't go another step. Things are uncertain and the presence of God is a faint memory. I have so many unanswered questions that I may or may not get the answers to in this life. But just like on that mountain in Colorado, I have to keep going in search of water. Even if I'm not feeling very spiritual or even feel like God is real, I believe that He's real and I believe that He is the only answer to all this life throws at me. So, I continue on in search of His presence because I know that just as my body needs water or it will die, so my soul needs the Lord to survive. 



No comments:

Post a Comment