Thursday, October 10, 2013

Chocolate Pumpkin Cake by Paula Roten

One of my favorite guilt-free dessert recipes is Chocolate Pumpkin Cake. Don't like pumpkin? I bet you would never know pumpkin is in this cake! I know it's hard to believe, especially since there are only two ingredients: a cake mix and a can of pumpkin. 

I first heard about this recipe at a Weight Watchers meeting. The fact that it's a dessert is the first thing it has going for it. And the fact that there are no eggs or oil just makes it contain fewer calories. So, it's a win-win for watching the calories and tasting great too!

Actually, I think it tastes more like brownies than a cake, but who really cares? When I want this just for family, I make it in a 9 x 13. But if I'm wanting to impress for a party, I bake these in a mini muffin pan in cupcake liners. Then when they come out of the oven, I top each one with a dollop of whipped topping and either a cherry half or a sprinkle of cinnamon. They make very pretty little bite sized desserts. 

You can actually use other flavors of cake mix like this spice one from Allrecipes.com.

Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
1 (18.25 oz.) chocolate cake mix
1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease a 9 x 13 in. cake pan.
2. Mix the cake mix and canned pumpkin by hand. Pour into prepared pan. 
3. Bake for 25-30 minutes or till done. Allow to cool before cutting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment