Friday, March 15, 2013

Switzerland or Holland? by Tony Manley


There is a story of a couple that prepared for their dream trip, a trip to Switzerland! They studied the geography, the climate, the dress, the culture…everything they knew to do to be the best “enjoyers” and “preparers” of Switzerland. They saved, shopped, and went. As the plane was preparing to land, the pilot announced, “Ladies and gentlemen, there has been a change in plans. We will not be landing in Switzerland. We will be landing in Holland.” As the couple took the announcement in, they immediately panicked. “This can’t be, we have done everything for our dream trip to Switzerland. All of our preparation and heart is in Switzerland.” As they were processing this information, the pilot came on and spoke, “But not only are we going to Holland, it is tulip season.” At this, the couple quieted their heart and began to reprocess the change in plans.

I have noticed lately, there are many people who are living in Holland! Holland is not a bad place, but when all the eggs were put in Switzerland’s basket, Holland can take some time to wrap one’s head around! In other words, how many of us are living the life and dreams we prepared for? Has there been a change in plans? Do I embrace the truth, “God’s ways are higher than my ways?”  (Isa. 55:9). Basically, am I ok with God changing my plans, circumstances, and relationships? Do I believe He has the right to do that TO ME?

Living in Holland requires readjusting and releasing the agenda. When I came to Christ, I had no idea what He had planned for my life, but I wanted Him. As we walked together, I began to learn this relationship was only as wonderful to the degree that I lived John 3:30 - “He MUST increase, I MUST decrease.” He is the Head, He is the One who knows me and my tomorrows. Oh, there is so much more about living in Holland with Christ. True joy, peace, satisfaction, provision…just a few extras of accepting a change in the life I thought was headed to Switzerland and ended up in Holland. By the way, I would never trade Holland for anything that is in Switzerland. I have learned and continue learning that when God takes me to a new place – a different place (Holland vs Switzerland), it is always better for my heart and my eternity than where I wanted or thought I wanted to go! 

“I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.”  Isa. 48:17

As spring is approaching, I am looking for tulips…after all, Holland is not such a bad place to live.




No comments:

Post a Comment